A large percentage of the properties we survey have inadequate smoke/heat detection installed. This is a real safety issue and home owners should be aware that installing this could be the difference between life and death.
A common issue is where detectors are installed but the batteries have been removed, usually to stop them bleeping!
Our advice to clients is to install a mains powered and fully linked smoke/heat detection system. This means that the system is wired to the electrical installation and batteries do not need to be changed or removed. Although there is a cost implication this will mean that you are better protected in the event of a fire and ultimately the difference between life and death is more heavily in your favour!
A useful link to find out more information is: http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/mains-smoke-alarms